At 6:15 Tuesday morning we headed into the bushveld for our final drive. At this point, I was so tired it was hard to stay awake! I quickly came to life when we had our first sighting of impala.
From there we heard baboons barking and followed them to see why they were so active. Instead of being threatened, Donald figured we had encountered one who was lost and trying to find its troop. A crested barbet bird, nyala and guinea fowl were found next. Of course the impala were everywhere.
From there we heard baboons barking and followed them to see why they were so active. Instead of being threatened, Donald figured we had encountered one who was lost and trying to find its troop. A crested barbet bird, nyala and guinea fowl were found next. Of course the impala were everywhere.
As we were driving down a road, Bob and I redeemed ourselves by finding a giraffe in the distance.
Finally, the Kilian's have proven they could find a giraffe! Or maybe Donald was being kind and letting us 'find' it. The giraffe was a young male and we stayed with him for quite awhile. He grazed nearby and then moved on to another area, crossing right in front of us.
Amazing long eyelashes and an incredible grace! The giraffe was just gorgeous.
Finally, the Kilian's have proven they could find a giraffe! Or maybe Donald was being kind and letting us 'find' it. The giraffe was a young male and we stayed with him for quite awhile. He grazed nearby and then moved on to another area, crossing right in front of us.
Amazing long eyelashes and an incredible grace! The giraffe was just gorgeous.
Next we found zebra - a stallion and 5 or 6 females grazing in the field. The stallion stood back on watch as the females grazed. They are beautiful animals to see up close.
The wild dogs were still in the area and we made our way to see them. They had apparently eaten something recently and were resting. They were laying on the ground looking.....like dogs!
Vultures were close by finishing up the rest of the meal left behind by the dog. They are pretty ugly birds but somehow not as bad on the ground as they seem up in trees.
Sadly our time for driving was up. It was time for the 'last breakfast'.
Back at Mala Mala, there was a small white monkey who entertained us (taunted us?) while we ate our last breakfast.
Reluctantly we left to pack and get ready to leave.
Reluctantly we left to pack and get ready to leave.
Too many good-byes - how could you possibly feel like you've shared a lifetime with these people in 4 days?
Our young ranger, Ryan who made such an impact on us. At 22 years old, he has a bucket list and shared it with us. He was professional, courteous, knowledgeable and so much fun to be around.
Our ranger Donald who flawlessly added us to his truck and guided us through the bush. His knowledge and commentary were educational and amusing.
Michael, the Goodwill Ambassador (bar tender, etc.) of Mala Mala. Michael greeted us along with one of the camp managers after each ride. He always had a scented wet wash cloth for a quick wash up.
Either Leana and Etienne, the married couple who are the camp managers met us after each ride. They always asked how the ride went and what animals we saw. And they were truly interested......although we knew the radio was being monitored by them the whole time we were gone. Of course they knew what we had seen!
While we were packing there was word that the plane had arrived earlier than scheduled. Good byes and email addresses were exchanged and Donald drove us to the air strip.
We were the last to board the 9 passenger plane headed for Nelspruit airport and then on to Cape Town.
We had left the magic behind but I think I cried for the entire 15 minutes on the plane. It was by far one of the most indescribable experiences I have ever had in my life. It was not travelling to a place to visit. It was so much more than that. I know the pictures will be amazing but I will never be able to describe the experience to anyone who has not been.
To add a bit to that last paragraph. When I was in South Africa 7 years ago and went on my 1st safari, I came home raving about it. The pictures were nice. I had seen things and animals in a setting that I had never seen before. However, it was not something that I could describe and do it justice. Jill said the same after their East African safari.....you can't describe it. Pictures provide good memories and brief snapshots into what we have seen, but only capture a very small part of the safari. One can only fully appreciate it when one has experienced it. Nancy is now of the same mind set. Sorry, but we cannot describe it actually. It's a mystical, fascinating, humbling, religious experience. As we said on our last New Zealand trip. We're OOA. Out of adjectives.
To add a bit to that last paragraph. When I was in South Africa 7 years ago and went on my 1st safari, I came home raving about it. The pictures were nice. I had seen things and animals in a setting that I had never seen before. However, it was not something that I could describe and do it justice. Jill said the same after their East African safari.....you can't describe it. Pictures provide good memories and brief snapshots into what we have seen, but only capture a very small part of the safari. One can only fully appreciate it when one has experienced it. Nancy is now of the same mind set. Sorry, but we cannot describe it actually. It's a mystical, fascinating, humbling, religious experience. As we said on our last New Zealand trip. We're OOA. Out of adjectives.
No comments:
Post a Comment